Monday 22 February 2016

Writing a C.V

So as we all know a C.V is an important and instrumental factor for promoting ourselves and gaining access to job interviews and possible employment.

As a professional dancer and a freelance dance teacher a lot of my employment has been gained through practical dance auditions. This meant that although a C.V was important it was mainly a reminder of who the audition panel had seen that day and a means of contact. 
Now I don't know about you? But due to the nature of my work I have never really had to have what I would call a "normal everyday C.V" nor have I been shown how to put one together.

Over the last few years I have been enhancing my training and gaining higher qualifications I have been looking at the different career options I have and have realised that as I and my job opportunities change so must my C.V and the way I market myself and my skills.

So below are two examples of my C.V my professional dancers C.V and my newly updated C.V.

I still feel there are improvements I can make so any feedback on what I have done so far would be greatly appreciated. 

I also look forward to looking at other BAPP students C.Vs for inspiration.😊



3 comments:

  1. Hi Charlie! - great CV, just a couple of things that I would change/ do different personally. I wouldn't list your GCSE grades. Have you ever been asked for them apart from if you have maths and English? therefore you can condense it down too "I have ... GCSE's grades A* - C including maths and English"

    I also wouldn't add in you're personal statement and just add a few key points about your self. I think if I was an employer and saw a personal statement on a CV I wouldn't really read it.

    As I said these are just my opinions and things I would tweek. I'd love you're opinion and some feedback on mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,

    To be honest I've never applied for a job where I have needed a c.v like this. I've only ever needed a dancers c.v and at the moment I'm still not sure where I want to take my career private or public sector( although I think I'm leaning to private sector) . If I do lean toward private sector I'm not sure how relevant the GCSEs results would actually be so I agree I may condense them down .

    I'm not sure about getting rid of the personal statement my husband is a very successfull buisness man and his personal statement has always been at the top of his c.v !

    Again I think it depends on what kind of job your applying for , maybe c.vs constantly need tweeking and adapting for different applications?!

    I had a look at your c.v and I really liked the roles and responsibilities under each job title I'm going to have a look at some other c.vs on the other people's blogs and then have a go at amending mine!

    Thanks for your feedback x

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the USA it is high school - I actually have a full-CV and versions of the full-one - so if anyone ever asks about that far back - I have the information handy - in my case - we are definitely going back a few years! Personal statement - yes profile - sometimes asked for - I think each CV is a bit different depending on what is required...

    ReplyDelete