Wednesday 9 November 2016

Ok so over the last couple of weeks I've been reading and researching to try and find my question for my proposal.
I still don't have a definitive question but I do feel like I'm heading in the right direction!
So here is some of what I've been up to!
First of all I set up my SIG group, now in theory this seemed like a great idea! I added lots of different dance professionals that I have either worked or trained with and posed a few different questions to them in the hope that their responses and answers would help me narrow down which direction my question might evolve. However only 1 person actually responded which was a little disappointing!

Has anyone else had problems getting responses and conversation going with their SIG?

I thought I would write the same questions on here and would really love to hear your responses!

1. What effect does reality T.V such as dance moms have on students and how does this impact on the demand of the dance teacher and school?

2. How relevant is acrobatic dance and gymnastics in the dance world and training today?

3. Does acrobatic dance and gymnastics have any impact or advantage when it comes to dance employment?

4. Does acrobatic dance and gymnastics have a positive or negative effect on a dancers technique?

5. What impact are unqualified dance teachers having on students and how does this affect teachers who are qualified?

6. Should the private dance sector be regulated?

The more I look at and read these questions the more I feel that these can all be connected In my question when I eventually figure out what that is!

I also decided to help me try and make things a little clearer I would look at key words I had used in my questions and brainstormed ideas that went around those words such as:

Acro dance

Qualified teachers

Quality

Progression

Regulated.

I also made up a list of pros and cons about gymnastics and Acro dance as well as trying to find some literature to gain some clarity on the subjects I had been looking at. I'll be posting some of my findings in my next Blog.

I've also discovered after reading reader 4 that I work within an inter disciplinary context, that I need to do qualitative research and I'm also going down the route of participant observation to gain more accurate subject knowledge.

I'm interested to see if others of you are trying these avenues of research and how you have found it helps you. Or is there another avenue of research others can recommend for me to try?



2 comments:

  1. Hi Charlie! Your research is looking really interesting so far.
    I am also struggling to narrow down my topic and still feel a little like I'm feeling my way through the dark sometimes! So I thought I'd do your questionnaire and hope it helps you a little.

    1. What effect does reality T.V such as dance moms have on students and how does this impact on the demand of the dance teacher and school?
    I defiantly think people get wild, exaggerated ideas of what dance classes will be like from these programs. Most of the dance teachers I have had always try to keep with trends, especially when it comes to hip hop and street dance techniques. Kids often come to those classes wanting to copy what they have seen to TV or Facebook!

    2. How relevant is acrobatic dance and gymnastics in the dance world and training today?
    From my personal experience this is something that is far more male dominated. As a female dancer, any kind of acrobatics is a bonus, there is far most importance on other aspects like flexibility. But with male performers I believe at least basic acrobatics is a must. All the boys in my year at college had to do gymnastics as an extra class at least once a week.

    3. Does acrobatic dance and gymnastics have any impact or advantage when it comes to dance employment?
    I believe so. I think any additional skills that make you stand out from others are an advantage in the dance world, where there are so many highly skilled, trained dancers.

    4. Does acrobatic dance and gymnastics have a positive or negative effect on a dancers technique?
    Unfortunately this isn't something I have ever really had enough experience with to be able to answer. I guess it would depend what kinds of techniques you were learning in gymnastics vs what kind of dance technique you do.

    5. What impact are unqualified dance teachers having on students and how does this affect teachers who are qualified?
    This is a difficult question. I know of many unqualified, talented dancers who have had no problem finding work in all areas of performing. This of course seems to be an unfair advantage to the teachers who have taken time and money to qualify and are able to give an expected standard of teaching.
    However I myself have found when applying for teaching based dance jobs most places want someone with a degree who has become fully qualified in one route or another.

    I really hope this has been helpful and I'm looking forward to seeing how your ideas develop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great ideas here but as I have said soooooooo many time stop looking for the perfect question. You clearly have a general idea: 'dance teaching, aerobic dance, children and the media what is going on here?' That is enough
    Please forget finding a pinned down question now and instead look at the topic through the lens we have suggested. Research tools. How do you find out more about the topic - interviewing reading, observing? and which of these would be useful and why. That will shape our 'question'. Ethics: what are the ways people connect and effect each other with in the general topic of your question. How will be engaging with these connections and effects when you start inquiring into the field.

    You have a great topic now you really need to let go of thinking there is a perfect question to ask. It is an inquiry to find out more you are not looking for an answer just to find out more. The more you need to find out right now is about research and how people do inquires regardless of the 'question'. Find out more about different kinds of interview, for instance. Looking forward to hearing more....
    :)

    ReplyDelete